A few weeks ago I wrote about a few of my favorite outdoor games as a kid. Many of you wrote in to say that you really enjoyed reminiscing and even shared some of the games with your own kids. And the best part? The kids loved them! For some, they are now the new “go-to” game in the neighborhood. I just love that! What’s old is indeed new again!
So with that in mind, I thought I’d share some other ideas for keeping the kids away from the hand-held technology vortex, and getting them to enjoy the last few weeks of summer in the great outdoors. The end of summer can certainly be a challenge when it comes to keeping the kids from “agonizing boredom” (as they put it!). So why not try some fun, free, inventive outdoor activities to keep them entertained and engaged?
Try building a fairy garden (quite the new trend these days), you could have the kiddos create their own race car track in the yard, maybe go super simple and make bubbles that BOUNCE, play Lawn Twister or create your own butterfly feeder! If none of those excite you, check below for even more ideas. Let’s all get out there and embrace these last few weeks of summer. Before we know it, the days will be shorter, the temps cooler and the schedules much busier!
If you have any great activity ideas for the last days of summer, please let us know in the comments below!
10 SUPER FUN ACTIVITIES
TO WRAP SUMMER UP RIGHT!
1. BUILD A FAIRY GARDEN: These little gardens have become so popular. And for good reason! There is so much you can do with them and so many ways to be creative. Great for adults, teens and young kids.
9 Fairy Garden Tutorials: The Today Show
2. CREATE YOUR OWN MINIATURE BACKYARD RACE TRACK: So fun! I would have had a blast with these as a kid. Easy to create as well.
Great Starter Ideas Here: woohome.com
3. MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTERFLY FEEDER: And boy do we need the butterflies to come back into the world! Butterflies used to be everywhere, but now they are pretty sparse. This activity is fun, creative AND will help bring more beautiful butterflies to your backyard!
Do-It-Yourself Hanging Butterfly Feeder: brightnest.com
14 Simple Butterfly Feeder Ideas
4. LAWN TWISTER: Twister is a great active game for all ages. Kick the old-style game up a notch with Lawn Twister. So easy to create and so fun to play!
DIY Lawn Twister: sheknows.com
5. ICE BLOCK TREASURE HUNT: For the young ones. A way to have fun and stay cool on those crazy hot last days of summer!
Ice Block Treasure Hunt: macaronifun.com
6. BUBBLES THAT BOUNCE: These bubbles don’t pop quite so easily – so the kids can have fun hitting them back and forth to each other, or just playing alone and seeing how long they can bounce a bubble in their hands before they pop! Easy and fun!
Bouncing Bubble Recipe: diyncrafts.com
7. CREATE YOUR OWN BEAN POLE TEEPEE: This one takes a little planning, so it may have to go on the list for next year’s activities. This activity would have been a dream for me as a kid! If you have nature loving kids, give it a try! And give the book “Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots” a try too!
Bean Pole Teepee: artfulparent.com
8. DIY OUTDOOR MOVIE SCREEN: What kid doesn’t like a good movie outside?! You can do a simple family showing, OR go all out and invite the neighborhood over!
Movie Screen How-To: myfrugaladventures.com
9. DIY CANVAS TENT: Have a full-blown camp-out, or just use it as a hide-away for reading or playing games. All ages will love this nature nook!
Canvas Tent: themerrythought.com
10. THEMED BINGO: Keep them up and moving, seeking and finding, and having FUN with Backyard Bingo!
Camping Themed Seeking Bingo Cards: thirtyhandmadedays.com
Activity Themed Bingo Cards: playtivities.com
And if you’re looking for fun family-friendly events check out our list right here!